Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chinatown (S)

chinaSo as I begin researching about different methods of alternations/ adaptations of local vernaculars, I thought what a good way it would be by looking for something consistent around the world - to my realization it was Chinatown(s). It is apparent to me that there is always a Chinatown somehwere you go, or located closeby. Whether it be a giant community or a small couple of shops.

Here we go.....
















































































































Apparently there is only one Chinatown in India. Located in Calcutta. Here is a clip of the place. Although it is in Hindu, I suppose you can get the gist of the place with the few lines of spoken English and of course if you can recognize the Chinese characters.


As a method of tracking these discoveries, I made a google map of these Chinatowns.

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen MAD's traveling Chinatown? Check it out here:

    http://www.dezeen.com/2008/09/11/superstar-a-mobile-china-town-by-mad/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i would get too lost in Chinatown Superstar...

    ReplyDelete