Friday, February 20, 2009

Chungking Express

While researching about Chungking Mansion, I remembered that this movie directed by Wong Kar Wai - "Chungking Express", was actually based there. It is an anthology about Indian drug smugglers, Chines cops and short-order cooks.  Wong Kar Wai grew up in Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, in the shadow of the Mansion, he quotes about his memories : 'The place was always a mystery to me. The people living in and living on it seemed very different from those I encountered. You can't help but have fantasies about what was actually happening inside. Of course, as a child, I was prohibited by my parents from visiting the place."  

- quoted from Hope and Squalor at Chungking Mansion by K.T. Greenfeld

On many levels I can relate to the curiosity generated by the presence of this building. I walked by this building every Saturday evening, after visiting my father at his office. As years go by, the crowd in front of the building changes. Sometimes, there were a crowd of Indian Women surrounding the area. (which I'd presumed to be prostitutes). next came the various individual Chinese woman standing on the street corners, alone in skimpy little clothing, covering barely any skin. I think it was about 10 degrees Celsius that day too. Well then there were some Indian men, and some African men. I'm not quite sure what they where doing, but definitely selling drugs and pirated objects: DVDs, Watches, Hand bags, whatever possible... 

well in case anyone is interested in watching this movie, here is a link that will redirect you to an an appropriate site.



No comments:

Post a Comment